Wednesday, February 10, 2010

7th Grade Nordic Skiers Reach New Heights



The first Friday of Nordic skiing had the 7th grade in the rain for the entire day, but they were too busy falling, laughing, and learning to notice. This year's group quickly learned the basic skills of side-step, herringbone, kick and glide, and snow plow. Some kids even mastered knee skiing!



Given their steep learning curve, these kids were hungry for hills and new vistas. By the second week they were heading out into the wilderness east of Mount Catherine. By the third week they were going farther than any group in previous years, reaching Windy Pass and summitting Mount Hyak -- tours of over 10 miles! For our fourth and final week all skiers made the full Viking Loop.

IN THEIR OWN WORDS...
I fell lots, but learned how strong I am.

The snow makes me calm, and I forget about the world's troubles.

My jacket became a cape. I was a Superspeed Superhero!

We get away from the drama of school.

It was a good workout and a fun challenge full of obstacles we had to overcome.

We worked as a group and played games to make the challenge easier.

You get to know kids that you don't normally talk to at school.

We hear birds and squirrels chattering without cars and machines.

You can wipe out because the snow is like a pillow.

It's exercise but you don't realize it because it's so fun.

Now I can go Nordic skiing with my family and teach them.

I saw really cool clouds.

I learned how to skate ski which helped me pick up downhill speed.

I fell so much that my instructor finally stopped telling me that it's OK to fall.



We are grateful to all the parents who joined our ski lessons and tours, and also to my co-leaders Magnus (Morgan), Knut (Karl) and Kirt (it's a Nordic Name already!) for their enthusiasm and expertise.

-Bjorn (Ben)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home